A Little of This, A Little of That

WM pink and gray Rev3

I thought I would do something different this week and toss the words out the window. Behold, in mediocre pictures, what we did this week. Followed by bullet points!

Multi-week, 1

Multi-week, 2

Multi-week, 3

Multi-week, 4

Multi-week Collage

Multi-week, 5

Multi-week, 6

• We finally replaced the doors on our sink cabinet with the ones KraftMaid sent to us, hmmmm, 18 months ago.
  • Our dryer died and we aren’t ready to buy a new set just yet. So, the Mister turned to his old lover, YouTube, and figured out how to replace the motor and belt–but not before he had me pepper Shaina with questions on Facebook.
  • I spent most of my time, by far, working on Mikey’s quilt. Just Mikey’s! (I’ve given up hope that their room will ever be done before college.) Larissa came over and over the course of 2 hours we pinned the heck out of it. Then we moved to the couch and started hand tying while watching Anne of Green Gables on DVD. Sitting there stitching while watching Anne smash her slate chalkboard over Gilbert’s head had to be some of the most relaxing moments I have had in a long time. I even turned to Larissa and said, “I am having such a good time!” And I said it just like that, the same way I imagine Pope Urban VIII must have said when he got to Heaven, “Turns out the earth is round!” Larissa was equally surprised and said, “I know! I could almost cry I’m so relaxed.” We both had lousy weeks, so this was a much need mental break. But not a physical break, oddly enough. I spent several more hours after Larissa went home hand tying and when I finally called it a night I was exhausted. More tired than I have ever been after a 4 mile walk! Who knew crafters knew how to bring the heat? NOT I.

Now it’s your turn! Feel free to share how you have lived according to the William Morris quote, “Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” Made a plan? Cleaned a drawer? Bought a sofa? Tell us about it with a link or comment. A few guidelines:

• Please link to a specific post, not a general blog address.
    • Your post must relate to your efforts to create an intentional home. I have a delete button, and I’m not afraid to use it.
    • No links to giveaways, please.
    • Let’s use this weekly link up as an opportunity to gather inspiration and motivation. Click links. Discover new people. Say hi and good job and all that stuff.

The smug husband cracks me up! :) Also, love me some good bullet points . . .

And good luck on the quilts! The last time I tied a quilt was high school. It was a family affair–one I took as a particularly painful form of punishment for an unbeknownst offense. Every once in awhile I get the urge to pick up the mantle–to learn to quilt as my ancestors before. I may need to rethink . . .

Your sofa looks so comfortable. I love it when they become almost nest-like, full of blankets and pillows.

I’ve been adhering to this principle in my yard lately. We’ve pulled out several ugly, overgrown shrubs lately. It feels GOOD to have them gone, finally. Now to figure out what – if anything – to plant in their place.

I thought it looked nest-like too! I can’t wait to have their quilts done so I can move on and make some for the family room. I should have them done by 2025!

3. shannon says

Quilting with Anne reminds me of my old roommate. Sometimes we would put on a pot of tea, pop in Anne, and do some crafts. She would work on a quilt she was making and I usually crocheted. We called them Anne days. When we had a tough week, we would declare Sunday an Anne day. The best days were rainy Anne days. Good times.

4. Fairfax Avenue says

Does William Morris count if it’s not my house? Visiting my son and his family in Missouri because I was helping babysit when his wife was away, my son said, “Ma, I want to surprise my wife with a new bathroom when she gets back.” This was on Thursday afternoon before Memorial Day weekend.

With the help of a handyman, three layers of linoleum were torn out and the floor newly tiled (thankfully the new tile was waiting in the garage), the fake paneling removed, a new sink installed (from ReStore for $10), three leaks repaired. My son and I grouted, painted, installed trim, rehung the doors, put in a new shower head… I left midday Wednesday and the bathroom just needed a mirror!

And I had a great time with my grandkids, too.

I sometimes wish I were more crafty so I could have relaxing days like that. I also now see where Nicholas gets his smug facial expressions from. :-) He’s learned from the best!

I always look forward to the William Morris Project posts. That exclamation of “I am having such a good time!” made me smile because those moments are so sweet when you realize you’re content.

My mom has a huge quilt frame that she stretches out over every chair in the living room when she ties one. She uses two flat sheets with batting in between, because her love for the recipient and giving gifts in a timely fashion by far outweighs any desire to actually craft a quilt. If she (or I) ever actually wanted to quilt anything, no one would ever see the carpet in her house again.

I decided to pretty up a mason jar to hold my makeup brushes on my bathroom counter. It turned out really well! http://makeitadoubleplease.com/mason-jar-diy/ I knokw have been styling up mason jars to use all over the house. super useful. 😀 Love your site btw, the title is SO me….my boyfriend wanted to call my blog, “I can’t decide.” because I’m so indecisive. :)

x Lauren Jade