I don’t know how I ended up here, writing after so long. One minute I was applying museum wax to the bottom corners of a picture frame, mentally cataloging all the small projects I wanted to finish, and then the next minute, I was grabbing my laptop, and putting my list down in writing for easy reference. Procrastination or overwhelm or both, I suppose.
A new year is looming (birthday and the calendar year); I am feeling the pressure to reflect on a more accomplished 12 months. I haven’t done much following an intestinal revolt in June that didn’t resolve as quickly as the many other revolts I’ve endured over the decades. Age or stress or both, I suppose.
I spent the months since June in urgent cares, hospitals, and medical clinics. I have endured two CT scans, an abdominal ultrasound, a pelvic ultrasound, a small bowel follow-through, a colonoscopy, an endoscopy, a PillCam/capsule endoscopy, and countless biopsies and blood draws. My gastroenterologist promised me an answer soon, perhaps as early as next week. Whatever I have, it doesn’t appear to be cancer. There is plenty for which to be thankful.
Here is my countdown list of the odds and ends floating around in my head. My list centers mostly on personal projects. The last few months have been about showing up to work and doing my best despite feeling pretty awful, so I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty for reshifting my focus now that I am feeling stronger. I will not complete the list before the end of the year, but it would be nice to strike off a large swath of task items. Endless optimism or blind grit or both, I suppose.
The Countdown List
- Put tinsel on a tree for the first time
- Decorate the mantel for Christmas, maybe battery-operated candles this year?
- Dried citrus for kitchen
- Clean off ottoman
- Buy baskets for the media console
- Buy baskets for bookcases
- Buy lights for bookcases
- Decorate tops of bookcases?
- Source vintage landscape or art for home library
- Clear off white cabinet in home library
- Wrap all presents
- Take pictures for Christmas cards
- Send out Christmas cards
- Clean first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth bookcases
- Put covers on ottomans
- Schedule OBGYN appointment
- Bring books to donate at the school library
- Clear out TBR school pile
- Buy and install wallpaper
- Decide on pictures for the gallery wall; print
- Hang pictures
- Replant urns outside
- Mulch for kitchen planters
- Clean out the glass/tea cabinet in the kitchen
- Clean out the toaster oven
- Read my 100th book for the year
- More updates as they come to mind
Leave a Reply