The William Morris Project: 2014 | Christmas Decorations

New here? Click on the image below to learn more about The William Morris Project.

The William Morris Project 2014

IMG_6524

IMG_6621

IMG_6623

I devoted Thursday and Friday of last week to taking down the Christmas decorations. I planned to start on Tuesday, but I was so overwhelmed that it took me days to psyche myself up to start. I gave myself the task of putting away the train. Just the train. I figured that would be enough to get be started, and it did…in fits and starts. What a blasted chore. Now that the decorations are gone, the house looks like we just moved in and are waiting for our furniture and personalities to arrive. Brown Town: that’s what the living room looks like right now.

Taking down the school decorations went much faster, especially since I didn’t even do half the work! I left to run an errand and a fellow mom/volunteer said she would get started while she waited for art class to start. By the time I returned, she had put away 75% of the items. I used the time she saved me to do some basic organizing that has been a long time coming. There is much more organizing to do, but the ball is now rolling and it feels good. Of course, now that the decorations are gone, the library looks like we are trapped in 1992, waiting for a beleaguered clerk to call our number. Department of Motor Vehicles Town: that’s what the library looks like right now.

But not for long! The library, at least, will get a few little touches of color with party decor items that were tucked in a drawer at home collecting dust.

Comments

1. Suzanne says

If it makes you feel any better, it took me at least two days to psyche myself up to tear down the Christmas decorations and three times that to get them put away. Darn those elves! They skipped my house.

Christmas has been down since New Years Day (I knew if I didn’t do it then, it wouldn’t happen), but over the weekend, I went into full-on, purge-the-office, early spring cleaning mode. I just don’t understand how I can shop as little as I do, de-clutter all the time, and still have so much junk that I don’t use?!

It’s it crazy how things look so blah once the Christmas decorations have been taken down? That’s why I have to have something new to put up; and I’ve taken to hauling the wee lighted tree from the office to the kitchen–and then I hang little glass heart ornaments. I never thought I’d be one of those, but there it is. I’m a much nicer person if I can ease out of festivity! :)

Christmas decorations are staying up until February this year. I am sincerely (really and truly) tired of looking at them (and dusting around them), but when they come down, that will mean that my husband will be home (he’s in Afghanistan).

Sweetie and I finally got around to taking our decorations down on Sunday. A whopping 7 days AFTER the epiphany. Growing up, my mom always took down decorations on the epiphany or the first weekend closest to the epiphany.
    So far, neither Sweetie nor I have found any random pieces we missed but I’m waiting. There’s always one!

6. Missie says

I have a minimally decorated home so when the tree is up and the mantle is decorated, it feels so cozy and warm. With them down (since 1/5) it feels empty. I need to find a way to make it feel cozy & still keep in the William Morris theme. Indecision and lack of funds hinder me! :)

7. Peggy says

I take down what’s outside, ASAP on New Year’s Day. Growing up, that was the day to undecorate. So that is when I start. I have been known to leave a tree up until April. It wasn’t a good year.
    Now I figure it takes a good three weeks to get everything up and decorated the way I want it, and if it takes a good three weeks to get it all down and put away, so be it. Blogless Peggy