Getting Ready, Slowing Down

I can’t decide if I’m extraordinarily calm or numb with nerves. The Craft Cabinet is only a few days away; it’s time for me to start cracking on that To-Do list. After that, the count-down begins for the first day of school. We’ll be eking out every last bit of summer vacation until then. Please excuse my infrequent posting until September, is what I’m saying.

Doesn’t September seem a long ways off? It’s only two weeks. Two weeks! We’ll start the month off with a bang: book club discussion on The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on Monday, September 3rd, followed by the return of The William Morris Project on that Thursday.

For September, we’ll be reading book 1 of the Detergent Series, which I believe is Divergent. I honestly have no idea–I’m not trying to be funny–so please double check that I have it right before you buy or check out. It’s Divergent or Insurgent. That much I know.

In October we will read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It’s on sale right now at Costco and Sam’s Club, if that helps. I hear the library holds are moving quickly, too, and that might be because the ending has people either waxing poetic or shaking their fists. Each side is convinced the other is insane. What we have here, folks, is an all out Book Nerd War. I can’t wait to see what happens in the comments.

November…well, we better be snowed in because we’re reading Anna Karenina. I know, it’s 800+ pages. On a positive note, it’s readily available. Hey, your mom might still have your copy from high school! It’s only $0.99 for kindle readers, too. (Edit: It’s free on Project Gutenbergpan! Thanks, Bethany!) The movie is coming out in November, and I thought it might be a nice challenge to read it in time for a SoCal PIBC movie date. I’ll take a pulse around mid-November to see how likely it is people will finish, and if it doesn’t look good, we can make it the November/December pick, since December is a busy month.

Wish me luck on Friday. I suddenly just got nervous. I’ll be back on Monday with some pictures and stories…and hopefully a handful of new friends!

Comments

Many thanks! I downloaded it and put it on my Kindle, but it took a while to figure out that it wasn’t listed in my Books section, but in Documents. Now I’m following some instructions on CNET on how to remove a tag that’ll let the book show up in my Books section, and once I get that down, I’m off to explore even more of Project Gutenberg! Thanks so much!

I’m going to get started early, too. I figure I’ll burn through the September/October pick and start reading Anna Karenina sometime in late September/early October.

I’m so excited for Friday – it’s my first little networking event since turning baking into a business! Plus I have a BAJILLION Pinterest projects I want to tackle, and I’m thrilled to have a deadline to start one of them. :)

I put Gone Girl on hold with the OCPL at least two months ago – I’m STILL over 200 behind on the hold list – -jeeeez!

Best of luck wishes coming your way. I’m pretty sure though that once you get there and get started you’ll feel right at home.
    I might be reading out of order, but it looks like I might actually get all of these read before discussion! I’ll have to remember to write some notes so that I don’t forget the details this time.

I haven’t read Anna Karenina since like 1997, but I loved it then. It sounds like it may be time to read it again! I hope you have a fun week, and that the Craft Cabinet is a raging success, which I am sure it will be.
    I wish you hadn’t pointed out that there are only two weeks until September. My to-do list is more of a to-do book.

I’m looking forward to meeting you and everyone else this Friday! I guess I should get busy and actually figure out something to craft, huh? (Kidding. Kinda.)

5. Amy G says

Hi Jules,

Thanks for always being so frank – I love your voice, and your honesty. It’s clear that you care more about being your genuine self, even if that’s not your ideal self, than projecting a perfect image into the blogosphere. And that makes the internet a better place. :)

Also, have you of the PIBC considered a graphic novel as one of your genres? I recommend Watchmen and am curious about the recommendations from NPR here.

Thanks for the heads up! I’m 397th in line for one of the 51 copies our library system has of Gone Girl. Only 11th for the audiobook, though (only 1 copy, though, 3 w eek borrowing period.) Sorry, you don’t need to know all that, I’m just compulsive about providing details, that’s all. Have a great time at the Craft thingy!