A heavy blanket of lethargy cocooned me after we finished the remodel in November 2019, which I assumed 2020 would remedy. Hah! That didn’t happen. I had a huge list of things to do in 2021, but my mom required a total reverse shoulder replacement of her dominant arm and months of physical therapy after a fall. I didn’t realize how traumatic that experience was until the anniversary of her accident crept across my desk calendar like a slug, dark and nasty. By September of 2021, I was a tangle of nerves, waiting for…something. I was at peak “quietly freaking out” when I saw this tweet by Owl at the Library.
I saved the illustration by Olya Grebennik and made it my screen lock.
I shared it on Instagram, where it became one of my most engaging posts of 2021. (Ten people follow me; this means nothing.) Thanks to that and a few other illustrations I shared, the algorithm suggested more and more whimsical drawings of anthropomorphized animals in burrows. Women my age started sending me illustrations of cozy critter dens that were popping up in their algorithms. It appears we of GenX, typically cynical and practical, have a new fondness for cute. Who can blame us? The previous two years were a maelstrom of shootings, protests, fires, and disease. Our children are growing up and leaving home; our parents are frailer and need us more. We earned our prime real estate in Brambly Hedge, thank you very much. Leave us be as we find joy gazing at mice in aprons preparing for a wedding.
The new year begins in less than a week, and though I am usually a huge fan of challenges, I’m skipping this year. The best I can do is make a list of things to do for 2022, hoping that I get to a few items on the list. Fingers crossed.
Sharing online my list of Things To Do in 2022 is weird, but it’s convenient and motivating for me. The list is malleable and will change throughout the year (and years to come, it’s a hell of a list). The goal remains a grandmotherly country estate with a lived-in feel, now with animals wearing aprons.
Happy New Year, friends. May all that is beautiful, meaningful, and brings you joy be yours throughout the coming year.
Things to Do in 2022
- New rug
- Fix or repalce coat hooks
- Paint door, if not replace
- Family Room
- Paint board and batten (?)
- New ottoman covers
- Purge bookcases
- Hang art
- Explore TV unit options
- Dining Room
- New rug for underneath table
- New rug for underneath Buttercup’s cage
- Move corkboard into Nico’s room?
- Art for dining room
- Remove printer, maybe the under cabinet
- Rehang the pictures
- Frame and add more family pictures
- Keep desk or remove
- Laundry room
- Clean out pantry (quarterly, ugh?)
- New washer and dryer
- Explore turning laundry room into baking corner
- Explore pantry efficiency options (drawers? new cabinet?)
- Guest Bathroom
- Accesories, just finish it for Pete’s sake
- Side Entrance
- Handrails for step
- Make Side entrance more of the main entrance
- Plant roses in the left brick planter
- Some sort of sign or art or hanging plants for large blank wall
- Primary Bedroom
- Purge closets
- A rug for under the bed
- New bedding
- A different set of lamps, maybe
- Window treatments
- Primary Bathroom
- Boys’ Bathroom
- Just finish it already
- Nico’s Room
- New bedding
- Mikey’s Room
- Declutter and reevaluate after he leaves for college
- New bedding
- Get rid of dresser (transfer to Nico’s room?)
- Let’s shoot for 12 posts this year
- Clean up categories
- Debating changing the name