Happy, Happy

B&B Collage.jpg

If you follow me on Instagram (I’m @themrskendall), then you have seen one or two dozen pictures of Buttercup. Some might think I’m obsessed with that dang bird. Probably! But she’s so sweet, so gentle, and so, so sensitive. We’ve learned a lot about her personality the last couple of weeks, and her stay with us hasn’t been without adjustments. I could write an entire post about her and why we only have one cockatiel, but I’m already perilously close to crazy bird-lady status on Instagram. No need to bring the crazy over here!

I can never love her enough for pulling Buddy out of his funk. He wags his tail, he sleeps better, and he eats food. He wasn’t do any of this well just three weeks ago. He could do without Buttercup flapping her wings–it’s a little scary to him–but she could do without his sudden coughs. Her eyes go big as saucers and her crest looks like the Empire State Building. It shouldn’t be funny, but it kind of is.

Here’s a really bad video for your squee enjoyment. I was in the kitchen making dinner when Mikey called out that Buddy and Buttercup went outside together. Say what?! I grabbed my phone and ran, hoping I would catch what I thought would last no more than a couple of seconds. I was wrong! Mikey, Nico, and I watched Buddy walk Buttercup around the yard and sniff a few bushes. Then, after a couple of minutes, Buddy decided to go back inside with Buttercup still hanging on, looking for all the world like Cleopatra on a litter. You’ll have to look past the horrible quality. I was going for proof, not production.

Have a happy, happy weekend everyone!

Comments
21 Responses to “Happy, Happy”
  1. Too sweet! And it was fun to hear your voices. That’s one lucky bird.

2. Robin says:

Wonderful and amazing! We’re used to dogs being “service” or “therapy” animals for humans but this is a great story that connection, empathy, and healing can cross any species boundary when the aptitude and inclination is present. I’m so glad that Buddy has a buddy.

3. Susan G says:

Sniff sniff. So sweet.

4. Cristina says:

That is so stinkin adorable…I can’t stand it!

5. t says:

Read this, looked at the pictures and watched the video, and now have tears in my eyes and a giant smile on my face.

6. Jenn says:

This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

7. Jeannej says:

I adore this post. Buttercup was your destiny and Buddy’s. You must be so glad Nico wanted a bird.

• Jules says:

What a great way to put it! You are so right, too. I never thought about it like that, but it’s true. I never would have even considered a bird if it wasn’t for Nico.

8. Emily says:

Please do a post on Buttercup. Since you started “instargramming” about her, I have been very intrigued! I would have never considered owning a bird, but she seems so sweet and interactive.

9. Annie says:

Awwww…loved this. Buttercup is darling. I never knew how delightful birds could be until we were gifted with a parakeet.

• Jules says:

That’s how I feel, too. I never knew how intelligent and social they were–and how hierarchy is so important to them–until Buttercup.

10. Danielle says:

gah- that is sooo darn cute!! I cannot handle the cuteness!!! please, more bird posts!! And I promise I will attempt to tone down the exclamation marks. :)

11. Shelley says:

It’s always so amazing when different species of animals bond like this (humans often don’t even get along with other humans!). You have a lovely voice.

12. beth lehman says: