lunch, herbs

Meeting Tarragon

I would like to experiment with seasoning in my cooking. For years I clung to basil. More recently, oregano. I’m on a fast track to parsley at this rate. There was once an episode of Chopped where one of the contestants used herbs and spices the way most people use salt. His meals came out layered like onions. Every bite was a new, but complementary, experience. He won. No surprise there.

I joked on Facebook that if this week got any worse I would have to make up events for Friday’s Happy, Happy post. I’ll say one thing about Tuesday, it’s the day I discovered tarragon tastes fantastic on shiitake mushrooms sautéed in butter and a few tablespoons of zinfandel.

The above is an Instagram photo of the lunch where I found tarragon. You can find this and many more exciting images by following me at @pancakesfries. I hear droid users can now use it now, too. Try it out! I really have fun over there. The kind of fun where you take pictures of your lunch or shoes or pets, so, keep your expectations in check.

Comments

With the exception of my Annie’s dressing, which I use when I make kale salads, I always use olive oil and lemon or apple cider vinegar. The thought of adding tarragon never occurred to me, but now it sounds AMAZING.

1. Kate says

I’m a total fool for tarragon! It reminds me of when I truly started paying attention to food because it MADE me.

Also, thanks for posting that Instagram is available on Droid. You made my day.

For a long time I thought I hated tarragon. When we were first married, I made an Alfredo sauce (fat free, no less. Wha????!!!!) and because I didn’t know any better, dumped I don’t even know how many handfuls of tarragon.

?????????

It tasted like creamy licorice noodles. Gag. It wasn’t until years later that I realized that tarragon tastes quite lovely when used properly (heh), but I never knew what to put it on aside from fish.

Butter sauces with tarragon over fish is how I learned to like the herb again. (See above and read about my newlywed kitchen disaster.)

Mmm . . . tarragon.

And I loved your comment on Facebook. Thankfully, I don’t do a happy, happy post on Friday; I do, however, offer a wish for the weekend. At this rate it will be something along the lines of, It’s a jungle. Good luck.

Do you think this is the result of Palm Sunday and April Fool’s Day co-mingling?! Things to ponder . . .

I’m forever in a cliantro and/or cumin phase.

I saw this instagram pic yesterday and was hoping you’d post more detail. Looks delicious!

My friend, Nicole, craved cumin with her first pregnancy. It always reminds me of her. I get into cilantro/cumin once summer hits.

That looks amazing! Again, another combination I would have never considered. Celery?? I use it only for stocks. I need to up my game.

4. Susan says

I love to sautee mushrooms with butter and thyme, will have to give it a go with tarragon. Thanks for the tip!

I like thyme with chicken, but never think to buy it at the store. I forget! I would really like an herb garden, but I have so much shade I don’t know where to plant it!

Just recently found your blog–really enjoy your writing. And I’m recently discovering cooking. Having to go gluten-free is meaning I finally have to learn how to cook. Way behind you on the whole herb/spice thing. Yeah, anything beyond salt pretty much is new territory!

oh, jules! i wish i had read this post before i signed up for instagram. i would have requested my name be lunchshoespets. i don’t think i would ever stop smiling, it’s so perfect and true!