I’ve been getting emails asking for an update, and I’ve been silent because it hasn’t been good. Today showed a step in the right direction, so I feel better enough about it to share some news.
Isabella was discharged on Wednesday, and Sonny and Viola were looking forward to a quiet Thanksgiving with their brood. Unfortunately, she started vomitting uncontrollably on Thanksgiving. They rushed her again to the hospital, were they spent hours before leaving with no clear answers and an appointment with head of neurology on Monday.
Monday came, and the appointment didn’t leave them feeling confident about their daughter’s future. She is in pain and often clutches her head. Her mood is irritable and unpredictable. She can vomit at any time without much warning. And yet there wasn’t much offered in the way of relief.
They went for a second opinion today at UCLA, and we are again feeling optimistic. Isabella never had a bleed, it seems. What she had was an extremely large arachnoid cyst that burst at some point. The fluid that leaked from this cyst created a pocket that is pushing her brain to one side. This fluid will not go away on it’s own, so she will most likely have surgery to have a ventricular shunt placed. None of this is for sure, but it’s the game plan on the table right now.
I’m sorry I didn’t respond to your emails, and I admit it was thoughtless of me. In truth, I was just waiting until I had something concrete to say, and all the while praying that my news would be positive. I can now say it is. Thanks for all your support.